Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: pilot
Date/Time: Mon, October 23, 2000 at 6:29 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V4.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Response T  "...Solicitation..." By Crossfire

You had me.  Your idea had possibilities, until you mentioned "Coke.web".

You're telling us Coca Cola, makers of soda pop, would have exclusive rights to Coke.web, even though there is a mineral called coke (not a company name, a real commodity) used in iron and steel industry, as well as refractory industry.  By your rules, the company that sells the mineral coke would not be able to register coke.anytld, including coke.web.

The idea of ICANN reaping a windfall from IOD re-registration fees
is probably a good thing.  However, it is not consistent to claim (as some have in this forum) that IOD is overcharging @ $35.00 a pop, then expect IOD customers to pay $35.00 x 2 for one domain name.  The cost of the payoff to ICANN should be absorbed elsewhere.  It should not be assumed that just because I can afford $35.00 for each legitimate .WEB I own, that I can afford $70.00 each for the same legitimate domains.  Do you think a car dealer should be able to double the price of your car, after you bought it?  How about your haircut?  How about your gas bill? 

By the way, here's the link for the mineral coke info:
http://china-times.com/minmetal/mineral.htm

And don't get me wrong, I think anyone who registers cocacola.web ought to have their head examined.  But not coke.web.

If I'm just being stupid, I expect those present to tell me.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy