Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Hudgens
Date/Time: Mon, October 16, 2000 at 9:47 PM GMT (Mon, October 16, 2000 at 3:47 PM CST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Support for Image Online Design and the .web TLD

It simply boggles my mind that a debate exists over whether Image Online Design (IOD) has full rights to the .web TLD.  Why, for the love of sanity, would ICANN consider giving the right to run the .web registry to an organization that is comprised of the largest and most powerful domain registries (Afilias)?  It is obvious .web will be a extremely popular extension, and it is further obvious why Afilias desires to control it.

I guess I just don't get it.  Isn't the purpose of ICANN to make certain that the Internet is not dominated by special interests and massive corporations?  IOD has proven it can operate a successful registry, and has done so for many years.  I have read both the IOD and Afilias application, and, simply put, IOD has presented a strong and complete argument in support of their existing .web registry.

From what I can tell there is plenty of evidence to suggest Image Online Design should be chosen to operate the .web registry. 

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy