Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cgrady
Date/Time: Fri, October 27, 2000 at 1:11 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.76 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: This is not correct. I completely disagree

Rebeka,

I completely disagree.

Many in the bboard seem to have the same opinion. It is understandable why some think this way but this concept is simply flawed. Let me explain my reasoning.

Network Solutions used to be a monopoly, they abused their customers through lack of support on every level and then some. This is not hearsay, not a conspiracy theory (as some here like to call this), and not an anti-Afilias statement (as Network Solutions is part of Afilias). This is a fact, and if you ask anyone who has had dealings with Network Solutions during that time frame you will get basically the same response. The horror stories are never ending from my colleagues who have been involved with the Internet for years. Open discussions about Network Solutions in a room full of web developers and you will be appalled by the stories.

ICANN seemed to have solved the problem by opening competition amongst registrars. However, Network Solutions still controls the ENTIRE "registry" (the database of domain names). The registrars basically take the orders and provide the customer support per se. The introduction of registrars who still pay a common registry (Network Solutions) has improved ones options and the quality of support one could get (as competition always does) but created another big problem. It now seems that Network Solutions, with its registrars has become an organization similar to that of a cartel.

Afilias, with Network Solutions as a member has taken the "cartel approach" and thrown a bunch of other established players together one month ago to apply for .WEB as well as other TLDs. So what we have are established players who, through incestuous corporate relations, have applied for about 40% of the new Top Level Domains in the current application process through ICANN.

This is not competition. This is an established player (cartel) attempting to broaden its already bloated market share.

Image Online managing the .WEB registry is not a monopoly.  I don't like the fact that it is necessary for a single company to control the registry any more than the next guy, but this is what we have to work with at this point.

If you have a single company or group of companies controlling all of the BEST registries then you have a monopoly. If you have multiple companies controlling separate registries you have competition.

If Afilias or Neustar is awarded .WEB what you have is established players controlling the best Top Level Domains (You have no where to turn for alternatives). Grant the .WEB TLD to Image Online and you have:

Multiple companies controlling multiple TLD registries (thus alternatives)
A registry which has been established by a pioneering company and supported by thousand of individuals around the world for over 4 years.

A company that was chosen but US, the users of the Internet, in a free and open market (the way it should be)

I think it's fair to say that, WE the users, and by users I'm referring to companies as well, are extremely dissatisfied (to day the least) with ICANN in that they have not represented our best interest up to this point. This is obvious when you look at the anti-ICANN views of the members who were recently voted into ICANN by people around the world, that there is something very very wrong with this organization.

The bottom line is …. Competition is good. Awarding another TLD to established players, such as Afilias or Neustar, does not promote competition. Granting Image Online the .WEB tld based on the superiority of their application does.

The argument that only a company such as Afilias can handle the volume that the .WEB registry will generate is laughable. As I have said in previous postings, high end hardware can be purchased, the technical expertise to build and manage a domain can be purchased, integrity and a respect for you customers and their needs cannot be. Given that Image Online has already covered all of these issues, the fact that they have been running the .WEB registry for over 4 years, and the fact that their application is superior leaves little room for doubt.

Kind Regards,
Chris Grady
President
Vieodata, Inc.
Chris@vieodata.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy