Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: zeo
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 11:13 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Dot..tv registration is highly questionable.

I have discovered an "issue" with the dot.tv registry service. I checked to see the status of a .tv domain, it came back as available and normal status, meaning it could be registered for $50 per year. I went ahead and registered it and one week later I was sent an email stating that the name was taken and my registraton was voided. I then checked the domain status on dot.tv and it now states that the domain is availble but as a high priority domain and for $2500 per year. This has now happened to me twice with them on two seperate domain names. Draw what conclusion you will from this but it seems quite strange that it would come back twice as registered and then rejected and then available for a much higher fee. It seems that they are monitoring registrations and if someone attempts to register a name they have not thought to list as high priority then they reject the registration and kick up the price. What do you think? When I called the dot.tv customer service the representative admitted to me that he fields at least 10 calls a day about this very issue. When I called dot.tv corporate they acted very very concerned and said that they would have someone immediately get back to me from their legal department. So far I have not heard from them.
Please let me know what you think people. This is very unfair business practice I think.. or a darn good idea..depends on which end ot the stick you are !!!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy