Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: For The People
Date/Time: Sun, October 15, 2000 at 5:40 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Hey

I was teetering on the edge of being annoyed, but I think I pulled back adequately, even before your clarification.

Let me put it to you this way:

I am fully aware that technical considerations exist, and it is difficult for me to tend to them without making a fool of myself. So I will leave that matter to technicians and programmers.

I can at least talk to matters of fairness, competition, non-technical matters in the respective applications, etc.--and that is just the way it has to be. I cannot go back in time and pursue programming no matter how hard I try.

What really has annoyed me to date has nothing to do with anything you have said--but allegations made by others against the body of IOD's registrants:

So many of us are NOT speculators. I have come to know a great many of IOD's registrants in this process--and let me tell you: Many, many are not speculators, but people who looking to start something very nice.

Does that in and of itself bolster IOD's claim on .web. Probably not. This is a separate issue.

But if we are wiped away, we will be replaced by all the tech-savvy people who can register a multitude of domains in the blink of an eye, strictly for the purpose of speculating.

To be honest, programmers will probably get involved anyway, even if they are ADDED to IOD's current registrant body, and not replacing us. But if the .webs I registered through IOD ARE wiped away, they will more than likely go to people with no interests in the domains themselves.

And what of the Internet then?

The same can be said by many other of IOD's registrants. Many of us are legitimate businessmen, hobbyists, web-developers, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ICANN: Be an agency for the People as well as an agency devoted to corporate interests.

Bring IOD's .web into the Internet root, and allow .web to become the TLD of the People.

Then grant us protection.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy