Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: TheWebster
Date/Time: Sun, October 15, 2000 at 5:27 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Noble Thoughts, But...

Yes,

Let's look at the Olympic Committee.  Did they relocate the winter Olympics to a new location, i.e. away from Salt Lake City.  No!  Why?  Because the process was too far along to reconsider an alternate location.  What is the worste thing that may happen if we learn that ICANN circumvented its own self regulatory controls?  Slap on the wrist, i.e. removal of Board Members with new Board Members?  How does this remove any potential injustices that might occur?  It doesn't.  All we would be able to do is cry foul, but nothing more.  Too little, too late.

Look.  Let's say you cross the road and have the right of way, but get hit in the process by a car.  Sure, you had the right of way, but what good is that going to do you if you are killed.  Nothing.  Sorry for the dramatics, but competition between companies can work that way some times.  Certainly all of us have read some story in our lives where a company's rights got trampled by the preverbial 800-pound gorilla.  It happens all the time.

To avoid such risks, society and businesses implement internal controls.  While not fool proof, they serve mostly as a deterent.  However, even internal controls can be circumvented, i.e. collusion.  Is that happening at ICANN.  Don't know.  We should be getting answers to very important questions, but that is not happening.  Why?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy