Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jtrade
Date/Time: Wed, October 25, 2000 at 3:32 AM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V4.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Comments Period Must be Extended Even Longer!

It is my opinion that the extension of the comment period by ICANN is insufficient, for the following reasons.
A. There are still 2 applications that have not been posted

B. The review for limiting the number of TLDs in an application has not been completed

C. The consultation period has been cancelled. Those applicants who counted on this to better make their presentation are going to have to use the public comment forum instead.

Because of these reasons, I believe that ICANN should begin the 2-week
public comment clock as soon as items #1 and #2 above are complete, and no sooner.

This would, by necessity, mean that the decision would be delayed past the meeting in Marina Del Rey. Even with the current end-date of November 5th, that gives the board only 11 days to completely consider all 44
applications. Rushing, in order to meet the meeting deadline is reckless and unnecessary.

Even with their current schedule, 11 days is obviously insufficient. It is better to extend the public comment period to its full 2 weeks, and then extend the decision-making period even longer after that.

It would also allow the new board members to be seated and participate in this decision. This should be reason enough to delay a short while. These board members were elected in the shadow of the new TLD process, and it would be a gross mistake to deny them participation in this tremendously important decision. The general membership who elected them would be done a great disservice if their elected board members were blocked from participating in this decision.

I urge everyone to contact the ICANN board members and express your supportthat this be done right, and that it be done fairly. Since ICANN isn't talking, it's up to us to ensure that this process is done right the first time.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy