Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 9:13 PM GMT (Tue, October 17, 2000 at 2:13 PM PDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Your technical objections

I appreciate your technical objections. I would appreciate it if you would expand upon why you feel that Windows 2000 is not a viable platform? Real-world experience would show that Dell Computer operates their system on Windows 2000, and it is one of the largest in the world. That, alone, shows the viability of the platform.

As for real-world experience, we do have it. Our system has been tested with the low-level activity that it gets now, and also tested at much higher levels with load simulators. This is standard in the industry, and I would be more than pleased to discuss our testing methodology with you.

As for registrars, I have stated already that we feel that we need a testbed period. If you feel that it is unfair that IOD act as the sole registrar during this period, I encourage you to make that point to ICANN, as there will be a negotiation period after the selection period concludes. If ICANN feels that this is an issue, we would be pleased to discuss it at that time. Fair is fair, and your concern is valid. I should point out, however, that many other proposals have the same "sole registrar" provision, so I encourage you to speak on behalf of all proposals, not just ours.

Finally, as regards our marketing plan, I suspect we'll have to agree to disagree, as we have identified many North-American plans, but did not fully disclose our global marketing plans. Again, if you have suggestions, I'm willing to listen to them and discuss them. I believe that IOD, as well as myself, have shown, over the past four years, that we are more than willing to listen to comments and act upon them.

I don't see that level of commitment from either of the other applicants for .web, frankly.

Christopher Ambler
CTO, Image Online Design, Inc.
The .Web Internet Domain Registry

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy