Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: keith246
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 11:07 PM GMT (Tue, October 17, 2000 at 5:07 PM CST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: yes guidelines needed -- they should be in the applications

Yes.  Of course greed is one of the drivers of innovation too.

If common words and names were out-of-bounds for registration, there would not be the pressure to register the name early that there currently is.

I would say that a period of 6 months to a year is a reasonable time for a company to get something meaningful going on their web site.

I also agree that content need not be exclusively on the topic of the gTLD, rather that the content be predominant (50% or more) on that topic.  After all, the catagories proposed currently are very broad.

If very very specific gTLDs were eventually adopted (there have been discussions elsewhere informally proposing one gTLDs for every aspect of business, so several hundred gTLDs) a case could be made for allowing businesses to cross register.  For example, an office supply company may be both retail and wholesale, so it would be in two catagories.

But at this time, noone has applied to be registrar for such a system.

So at this time, I see a ban on synonym domain names (or domain cross-registration) as required to prevent the exhaustion of domain names.

The way the ICANN has staged this, the guidelines are defined by the gTLD applicant and are contained in the application. 

Mostly the guidelines say first-come-first-served -- which is taking the cash-cow option.

My opinion is that any application proposing to hand out names on an unrestricted first-come-first-served basis should be rejected by ICANN.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy