Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: CrossFire
Date/Time: Tue, October 24, 2000 at 8:09 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Followup Message For Pilot

Pilot (as well as IOD & IOD Supporters),

I used your example of Cocacola.Web with regards to questionable domain name registrations that may have occurred on IOD's website.  Provided below is what I discovered:

"cocacola.web" registration information.
Owner:                 (Intentionally omitted by myself)
Email:                

BR
Technical Contact: (Intentionally omitted by myself)
Technical Email: (Intentionally omitted by myself)

BR
Redirect DNS IP         (Intentionally omitted by myself)
Redirect DNS IP         (Intentionally omitted by myself)

As you stated in an earlier message, some individuals might not be well informed if he/she were to register such a domain name.  I believe you are absolutely right.  But, in all fairness, I entered two other well-known brand names for my own edification with regards to questionable domain name registrations.  The following is also what I discovered:

"businessweek.web" registration information.
Owner:                (Intentionally omitted by myself)
Email:                (Intentionally omitted by myself)

KR

KR

Additional DNS IP (Intentionally omitted by myself)
Additional DNS IP (Intentionally omitted by myself)
"intel.web" registration information.
Owner:                (Intentionally omitted by myself)
Email:                (Intentionally omitted by myself)

CA,
                US

CA,
                US

Primary DNS IP         (Intentionally omitted by myself)
Secondary DNS IP (Intentionally omitted by myself)

As you can see, there are a few questionable domain names that came up in my search.  I was able to find these domain names effortlessly and in less than one minute.  I realize that this is a touchy subject and should be left to IOD's policies as well as ICANN and the WIPO.  In addition, I understand that IOD has made it clear in its application that it intends to work vigorously with ICANN on mitigating such conflicts.  Nevertheless, I find myself asking two very important questions: 1)What are the ramifications of these findings?; and 2) How might it impact IOD and IOD Supporters that acted honorably when purchasing their own domain names?

For starters, such information can be accessed and compiled effortlessly and quickly from IOD's database via the web by anyone.  In the right hands, such information could be used to mislead the public and distort the honorable intent of both IOD and many IOD Supporters.  Let me explain further by playing the devil's advocate.

The first thing that Afilias might do is hire a group of people to access IOD's database 24/7 and compile a list of all the questionable domain names.  This would probably be handled by Afilias’ PR firm.  The sole purpose of each individual in the group would be to type non-stop and enter everything humanly possible.  The PR firm might even go as far as to automate the process in order to accelerate such efforts.  Perhaps Afilias has already begun this process many months in advance of submitting its proposal.  Anyway, once this task was completed, Afilias could simply slip the list into Ken Stubbs' hands and ask the Chairman of the Names Council to distribute a copy of the list to ICANN's Board of Directors for the sole purpose of committing character assassination on a registrar we all know to be honorable.  This is where Ken Stubb's role on both the Names Council and the Afilias Board of Directors may be potentially abused.  At a minimum, Mr. Stubbs affiliation with ICANN and Afilias gives the appearance of a conflict of interest.  We have yet to hear from ICANN.

By now many of you are probably thinking enough already.  Stop with the nonsense.  But remember, I too have an interest in IOD's future, so please bare with me for just a little while longer.

If the scenario above comes to pass, then how might the timing be handled.  Well, I think Afilias would wait until the last possible moment to present such information on the bulletin board, i.e. October 27.  If I were Afilias, why would I post a copy of the list on the bulletin board way in advance of October 27.  Why say anything?  Instead, I would wait until the last day of the public forum to produce a copy on the bulletin board, i.e. the big bomb.  Ever wonder why Afilias hasn't made any official comment on the bulletin board?  Well, maybe we now have our answer.

Let me also add that Afilias would not stop there.  In the face of such questionable domain name purchases, many Afilias supporters (and others) would flood the bulletin board (again on October 27) by complaining that such names should not have been registered in the first place if IOD was doing its job properly.  Such statements could not be farther from the truth.  We only have to look at all the domain names sold by NSI and Register.Com that have fallen under the watchful eye of the WIPO.  Are we to believe that NSI and Register.Com dropped the ball in this regard?  No, because that too would be a lie.  This, of course, is not to say that NSI or Register.Com did not commit other sorts of questionable acts that have yet to be decided by the courts.

In closing, I would like to add that public perception is at times, as important, if not more so, than intent.  Therefore, might we not consider any measures that could preempt such potential misdeeds by Afilias (and others)?  I’ve submitted my suggestion and have read your responses.  I realize my suggestion was both drastic and ill timed(sorry if I offended anyone).  However, I would like to entertain any suggestions that other IOD Supporters might have to offer.  Most of the information now being posted on the bulletin board appears to be somewhat redundant.  Thank You! 

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy