Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: For The People
Date/Time: Sat, October 21, 2000 at 1:57 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: IOD and Trademarks.

<<< However there will be "a tremendous number" of challenged domain names from the current database. There's no doubt about that.   >>>

This trend would not be altered by resetting the databases. A clean database will still be, in part, filled by cybersquatters. 

That is a matter for arbitration and the courts.

<< Also, I feel that somebody who has ignored trademark rights for four years doesn't appear to be trustworthy to me. >>

Sir, IOD like NSI, cannot be responsible for the full scope of trademark protection. They are not in the trademark business, nor are they judges and arbiters. They are in the domain registry business.

A registry can very well work hand-in-hand with trademark lobbies and trademark holders, but there are limitations. I think IOD has acknowledged the concern fairly enough, and has acknowledged their limitations.

Does IOD deny an individual the right to register United.web, Virgin.web and Apple.web? These are all generic words, and they are all trademarks.

Is IOD responsible for holding Delta.web for Delta Airlines or for Delta Faucets? How about a million other "Delta" trademarks.

Which trademarks get protected? Do all variations get protected?

You see, it is impossible for the registry to police that.

ICANN recognized that this matter is beyond MASSIVE policing within this industry.

Furthermore, if you advocate for a database wipe on grounds that there are cybersquatters, you are advocating throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The vast majority of IOD registrants have registered generics domains.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy